Star Career Academy - My transcripts

2.1
Scholarship, Grants and Programs

I was told the number has been disconnected and no further information was available

Comments

im struggling still to get my transcripts as well, and cant sit for boards without them...I don't even know my next turn or who to contact...I haven't had any work because of this, at least not as an MA and still have an outstanding loan...have you had any luck at all since this post??

Star Career Academy - Incompetent staff, dishonest school reps, job placement was a joke.

1.6
Scholarship, Grants and Programs

I was enrolled in the culinary program at the 154 W 14th location in New york in the fall of 2013. Initially my experience was fantastic But the instructors i had for my first 2-4 modules where amazing i.e: Devoria Simmons, Gustavo Moya, Jorge Bruderer, and Raymond Childs.

They saw my talent and immediately helped get me in the indusrty also providing me with job opportunities working restaurant launches for celebrity chefs and various private events. But shortly after there was administration change and they were told cease in providing students work outside of job placement through career services. Sadly these instructors left shortly after after having there hands tied. Now they changed the rotation of culinary instructors from each module where as you would only have one for the remainder of the syllabus.

Instead of utilizing instructors to their strengths i was stuck with a lazy,dirty, half assed individual who spent half her time in the faculty lounge as the student went about our day in class with zero direction. And to top it off she would take students to events and write them checks that would bounce, Onique Oliver was her name. Pathetic excuse for a teacher, zero integrity. When it came time for externship i was looking for a out at my current internship but they insisted i convert it to my externship.

Things shortly after that went south after they found out i was a student at star career, the staff treated me utterly horrible calling me star ***, that is how tarnished this schools name is in the industry. So i eventually left. At this point there was another administration change and i was left in the lurch for 6 weeks before they approved the externship site which i had to find on my own because they where to busy dealing with there own ***. Now moving forward, i finish my externship and am given a graduation date and shortly after graduation was told i could not receive my certification because of a missed payment for which i had a receipt for.

Needless to say 3 years later and after completing the program to this day never received or laid hands on a physical piece of paper saying i completed said course. The saddest part is i have a easier time receiving a call back from a prospective employer when i do not list star career on my resume. I have worked at places where the staff has told me they refuse to hire students from here simply for there lack of professionalism and adequate skills needed to perform even the most rudimentary of kitchen task.

Now the few times i did call looking for a job, it was always a *** show nobody would touch basis with me or the positions where complete ***. Happy Star Career academy has shuttered its doors now nobody else can be exploited by the woefully dreadful institution.

Monetary Loss: $20000.

I liked: Instructors.

I didn't like: Predatory lending practices, Incompetent career services, Dishonest financial practices, Abuse of power, Lack of communication.

Comments

HospitableWhiteFacedCapuchin

Same thing happened to me! They did not want to accept the Internship I foubd on my own!

And put me in an internship at the Airport in a food line with people making minimum wage! Why did I spend so mucch money on a “Career” I could of walked off the street to get?And Navient has bought the loans now so if you refuse to pay, they ruin your credit within a month or two!Anyone who took out a loan for this school should be Forgiven!

Completely! It was a total SCAM!

Bloomingdale, New Jersey, United States #1248631

Hey I just read your review and sadly I have to agree that that is the impression I got when I went to check out the school a few years back . I think it is incredible that you are able to find work or better responses from employers if you don't mention the star career academy name I wish you the best of luck I am sure you will do well.

Dan

Star Career Academy - Simple Review #1479774796

2.3
Scholarship, Grants and Programs

I attended the phila campus for MA we had no hubs for phlebotomy class my teacher came out of pocket jus so we could learn phlebotomy as well as using damaged dummy arms where blood would not come out. our skins used for injections would not hold fluid and would squirt in our faces. it was crazy on top of us never having a graduation after all the money and hard work we put in.

Star Career Academy - STAR Academy Evening Pastry

After almost two months Star closes without even saying anything. The program was awesome until this.

I never received any notice of closing. Honestly if my classmates did not say anything and seeing it on the news, I wouldn't have believed it. I finally was able to get ahold of a rep at the school and I was inform that students would not be getting any refund back. The only funds that could be refunded were my federal loans.

What a disappointment. This is appalling, I hear another class action lawsuit coming.

It is so unfortunate that it had to end this way. The chefs were great, especially Chef Ginamarie!

Product or Service Mentioned: Star Career Academy Program.

Reason of review: Return, Exchange or Cancellation Policy.

Pleasantville, New York, United States #1253762

This is not s shock. The school got what it deserved.

They never cared about the welfare of their students. Only the bottom line.

The owners and management are all dirt bags. The wicked witch is dead.

Star Career Academy - If anyone has had any similar issues Please Comment..

I went to the Paramedic Course in Philadelphia Pa Welsh Rd. and two months in my teacher quit.

We didn't have a teacher for three months. And for the three months we were taught one thing and was given test on something else. We were not properly trained and our Internship program would not let students return because they were not trained to do I.V's. properly which cause us to stop our Internship for 2 weeks but were signed off as properly trained.

I started the Internship Program they claimed I was not performing up to standard but all the nurses signed my documents saying that I was excellent. I appealed the claim and showed them were they violated there hand book. sent them certified mail with letters for my appeal hearing and they never would respond. Once terminated from the school, The school sent me papers saying I was terminated but yet when I got my Trans scripts the Star Career Academy said I withdrew from the course which is Fraud.

The Paramedic Program In Philadelphia Pa.

Ann Mary Thomas was the worst coordinator and could care less about people and training students properly.

Seattle, Washington, United States #1255754

i also made the biggest mistake going to their program.

i had one great instructor, who quit bc of the directors BS.

she has no respect for the students...in her eyes respect is commanded. in this world respect is earned both ways.

it would be learn something one week and get a test on something completely left field the next.

im truly saddened the students who were almost done with their training.

i am not at all sorry that star career academy closed

Jersey City, New Jersey, United States #1246847

Ann Mary is/was an awesome medic. I have had the pleasure of being her partner for some time and I would put her in to top of the heap of medics.

I cannot disagree about the school though, the underhanded ways of the powers that be, are shady to be nice about what I would like to write. I was an instructor in Newark, and loved teaching the students, but the BS is amazing.

MAria would lie to your face and then throw you under the same bus that just ran you over. If I should go to another job and see any of the people who were in charge, I will refuse that job in a heart beat.

Star Career Academy - Program Review

I went to star carerr academy in brick n.j and i was told they would help set us up with jobs after we graduate and work on a resume. We got very little help with resume and then never any help with being set up with a job.

I was told there was no internship but they would set us up with a job. Also we took the test to get certified and none of the jobs applied for even asked for a certificate. They all wanted several years of hands on experience which we did not have. We barely worked with an actual computer program.

It was mainly all books. An internship would have gave us an advantage or setting us up with a job like they said they would do. From what they told me i was under the impression that i would be set up with a job from companies that they had a contract or some kind of connection with. I found 2 jobs on my own and they didn't work out bc they were unwilling to train after i got the job and one of the jobs was for a dental surgery center which we were never taught much about even though they bill medical and sometimes dental for dental surgery.

It has been nothing but a hasle to find a job with not having any hands on experience/work of atleast 3- 5 yrs. or more.

It was a complete waste of my money! Now i am in debt and can't find a job.

Whitesville, New York, United States #1241861

I am right there with you. I went from September 2010 until April 2011.

I refuse to pay my loan and keep calling fedloan on this. I want a discharge it was a scam and a waste of time!

Star Career Academy - Pricey and lack of education- philadelphia

2.1
Scholarship, Grants and Programs

so I had actually used my little education and am making it in the MA field. But when I went to look at the school, I got a call the next day saying I was signed up to start, which I really didn't agree to.

The teaching after medical terminology and phlebotomy became non sense. I went at night our one teacher constantly went on smoke breaks and the tests were a joke. I read the book and passed both my certs, but for $15,000 its a joke for a yr of my life. I found my own extern because I wasn't guaranteed an extern right away.

I feel the course was too long and we learned nothing you can do the stuff that matters in a shorter time and don't need to charge as much, the teachers at night don't care at that point in the day. I'm still $10,500 in debt. The interest keeps piling up even though I make payments, they do want ridiculous amounts and I am always calling to have it adjusted. when I first started after extern in jobs I was making nothing even with certifications.

They lied about the certifications too, they said they were good for 2 years.

They are not they are only good for 1 year and it's $100 a yr to do that. ridiculous.

Product or Service Mentioned: Star Career Academy Program.

Reason of review: Pricing issue.

Star Career Academy - Simple Review #1458526027

1.6

Promised that I will get good paying job us dialysis technician haha you be very fortunate if you get a interview took my 18000 dollars and run my teacher was okay I passed all their exams where is the job you promised sham sham

Product or Service Mentioned: Star Career Academy Program.

Reason of review: Not as described.

Star Career Academy - Not worth the time and money. PHILADELPHIA CAMPUS

3.0

First of all the drop rate for the EMT program is super high. ANMARY, WILENT, AND BRANDT SHOULD BE ASHAMED.

SORRY A$$ TEACHERS. We started with 25 and when I left there was about 9 people and only 3 past the exam. SMH HORRIBLE RIGHT?? Oh and don't have a question to ask,, the teachers will put Off answering you as long as they can.

NO ONE IS AVAILABLE TO TALK TO BUT LET YOU OWE SOME MONEY AND YOU WILL GET PHONE CALLS AND EMAILS LIKE CRAZY. THE WORST SCHOOL EVER.

Product or Service Mentioned: Star Career Academy Program.

Reason of review: Pricing issue.

I liked: Location.

I didn't like: Staff.

Star Career Academy - Simple Review #1447266183

1.8

I sayto you has a single mom you had to take alot still to find your way has of getting a career its like the type of tech college every man for themselves and yet competitive program you will have risk your life out in the real world anyway after your finish this course.